More Behind the Scenes
Photos of festival performers, guests, and activities.
Drag mouse over thumbnails and click to select picture. Use controls or swipe to navigate through the slideshow.
- Lion Halau. From left: Nubuo Numata, Toshitake Okano, Akemi Kimura, Kiyoshi ''Lion'' Kobayashi, Masako Wakamatsu, Haruko Ozeki, Sakae Machida, and Norio Usui.
- Alexis Tolentino getting sultry looks coaching from Julie Hendriks.
- Saturday evening ho'olaule'a guests in the hotel's Kanahele Room.
- Kathy Collins.
- Larry Holu.
- Geronimo ''Geri'' Valdriz and Bobby Ingano.
- Sandy Sardinha models a customized festival t-shirt.
- The fringe look may be offered as a customizedt-shirt option at future festivals.
- The fringe look.
- A little plumeria tree trimming by the hotel. Plumeria growers, come and get your cuttings!
- More plumeria grooming.
- The outdoor stage venue.
- Information and silent auction tent.
- Day 2 of Plumeria tree trimming. According to hotel staff, this tree was planted by Charlton Heston in the 1930s when he made a movie at the hotel.
- More tempting stuff for plumeria growers.
- Shirley and Larry Holu.
- Alan Akaka giving Next Generation musicians instructions for a research project.
- MOre research project.
- More research project.
- Photographer and HIMELE board member Don Touchi.
- The hotel's Hale Ho'okopa cultural center provided a setting for a group kanikapila with hotel staff. From left: Pono, Alan, Tai, Rance Villarimo, and Joey.
- Alexis flashes a "shaka" that is apparently hypnotizing the photographer.
Back to Gallery: 2018 Festival
Photography by Addison Ching. All photos ©2018 by HIMELE.